Monday 16 February 2015

St.Valentine

Week 7 already in 2015! How did that happen? For this week Journal 52 have set the theme of Valentines. This is one I struggle with as I don't go for all that pink, romantic mushy stuff - more grungy, worn, vintage is me.

So I decided to look up the origins of St.Valentine. There are two who are honoured on February 14th - Valentine of Rome and Valentine of Terni. Valentine of Rome was martyred in 496AD and his relics kept in the church of San Valentino in Rome until the middle ages when they were transferred to the church of Santa Prassede. The flower crowned skull of St.Valentine is exhibited in the Basilica of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, Rome. It was this that gave me my inspiration for my journal this week.

I created a background of watercolour, coffee and washi tape. Then die cut the hearts and stamped wings onto greaseproof paper, cut out and added them behind the hearts. I then drew the skull with his crown of roses, and added a stamped skull as extra adornment. Once all was dry I combined the elements together and added St.Valentine using Tiny Type stickers. Overall better than I thought this one would come out!








I hope you all had a great valentines! Enjoy your week.

2 comments:

Krisha said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!! I absolutely love this journal spread.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow!!! Your artwork is fantastic!