Monday 26 January 2015

Silhouettes

So far, so good. Week four and I'm still on task with my Art Journal for the year. Can't believe it's almost the end of January 2015 already! For Journal 52 this week, the prompt was Silhouettes. I had in mind what I wanted to do from the beginning, but I got so far and then hit a block - it needed something else and I hadn't got a clue as to what. So I put it all to one side and tonight I decided to get the washi tapes out and play. A few strips of that with a few extra silhouettes in the corner and problem solved. This weekend is the first weekend in about 2 months that I have started to feel more normal and feel like I am finally getting rid of this winter virus, even the coughing is subsiding (after discovering this great throat spray to numb the tickle).

To create this page I decided that I wanted to have some deer / stags in their somewhere and create a landscape scene. I started by painting the background with acrylic paints in shades of blue, purple and white. On top I found a woodland photograph I took at the beginning of January when it was all foggy and image transferred this onto the background paint. I then drew and painted on top of this image to bring key parts to the front. Using a selection of dies I cut the deer out and used them as stencils to create their silhouettes, then painted over the top. I added a layer of tattered angels sprays on top and white fine line pen to emphasise branches.

The bottom right hand area was lacking, it was too dark with not enough interest. This is where the washi tapes came into play and I layered the deer I had cut out earlier to use as stencils, added colour to them and glued in place on top. A final spritz of tattered angels, a rub over with a baby wipe to blend sections and reveal buried parts and voila, the end result.



I hope you enjoy the end result. Hop on over to the website or follow on Facebook to see lots more inspiration and have a go.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful page ...
You've painted so beautiful!
Very strong!

Greetings, Elizabeth