Thursday 10 July 2008

Design Competition Entry

Now for something fairly recent. I was introduced to the scrapbooking world about a year ago now, I initially thought that scrapbooking was a twee hobby, old fashioned and for the older generations to catalogue their memories - how wrong could one person be??????

I LOVE IT - it is new, exciting, open to interpretation and has so many possibilities with new products, interesting papers and embellishments and even has room for me do do my art on it all. One angle I fell in love with was Altered Art, this is right up my alley. I love taking something and being creative with it, using my imagination in tandem with my artistic skills to create something individual and different. Anyone can do this, don't be afraid to have a go and experiment, even if you think it might go wrong, some of the best results come from those happy accidents.

I got into scrapbooking and altered art though Scrapbook Sisters - a scrapbooking shop run by two lovely ladies, Karen and Julie. Not only do they own the shop, they also hold regular lessons for anyone who is interested and are very welcoming.

At the end of last year they held a design competition for scrapbookers, card makers and altered artists to enter - the prize a place on their design team. I entered this under the Altered Art section and won it. I am now on their design team and create altered art pieces for them.

I entered an altered book for the competition, the theme was Kings and Queens. I chose to produce a book on Titania and Oberon - King and Queen of the Faeries. Below are a selection of photographs of how I made the book and the final outcome.

I started off by gluing pages together and then marking out places I wanted to cut:

I then started to paint and add Gesso to relevant areas to add texture:


This is the mess I get into when working - the creativity takes over:

This is when I started to add papers and embossing with gold UTEE:

I added embellishments using a range of leaf punches:


The following images showcase the whole book from cover to cover:





Most of the scrapbooking items I used for this book can be purchased at Scrapbook Sisters: all the punches, UTEE, Versamark, Once Upon A Time papers, embellishments, wire, stamps, etc.

Follow this link: http://www.scrapbooksisters.co.uk/
Hope you like this. More to follow soon........

1 comment:

karen said...

I'm glad to see you get in as much mess as I do when you're creating.