Monday 25 August 2008

The Lady of Shalott

By Tennyson - a long, but interesting poem, and one which has been the source of many paintings, in particular by one of my favourite art movements - The Pre-Raphaelites. This is my mixed media piece interpretation.

The background is made by dragging a distress ink across the card and spritzing with water to make the ink spread, I then layered old pages froma book on top and stamped some branches and twisted leaf shapes. I then painted the Lady of Shalott and the prow of her boat.
While waiting for the paint to dry I punched out the leaves and wrote the title and a section of the poem on card, distressed these with chalk eye and cut them out ready to layer on top of the painting once dry.
And all created in the space of an hour - only just though! for my One Powerful Hour of the week.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Beautiful!! Very creative!

Unknown said...

you go girl! This is fabulous the layers are just so perfect and I love the leaves!

Thank you for taking the challenge and be sure to check back on wendsday for the winner of the musical prize!

Sarah said...

you did this in an HOUR????

wow!

I was going to comment anyway because it is absolutely beautiful! but I am seriously knocked sideways by how quickly you can put something this lovely together.